Keeping physically active helps you to feel both healthy and happy.
Regular exercise not only improves the way you feel on daily basis but can also prevent some serious health conditions too.
Evidence shows that people that stay active:
- Are less stressed
- Sleep better
- Have improved moods
- Have a lower risk of depression
- Have improved memory
- Reduce their risk of developing dementia
Increased activity levels can also improve the health of people with long term conditions as well as prevent serious health conditions from developing.
Regular exercise is proven to reduce the risk of:
- Coronary heart disease
- High blood pressure
- Type 2 diabetes
- Colon cancer
- Breast cancer
- Falls and injuries from falls
Find out more about how regular physical activity can benefit your health at NHS Choices.
As well as the well-known health benefits, getting out and enjoying regular physical activity can have additional benefits too.
It can also offer you:
- Improved self-esteem, confidence and a sense of empowerment
- The chance to meet new people and develop friendships
- Opportunities for relaxation and enjoyment
- A chance to let off steam and have fun
Find out more about services and organisations that offer sports and activities close to you on our useful tools page.