Skip to main content

Everyone has the right to a safe, secure roof over their heads but sometimes things can go wrong.

Housing issues can cause you unnecessary stress and worry and it’s important to know your rights and responsibilities.

The organisations on this page can help you with issues including renting or buying a home, keeping up with payments or just finding somewhere to live.

You can also find advice on handling problems with your landlord and help to avoid losing your home.

Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice offers help on a wide range of different topics including housing.

You can find help on finding a place to live, managing rent and mortgage payments, homelessness and more on the  Citizens Advice housing pages.

You can search for your local Citizens Advice branch.

Derbyshire Law Centre

The Derbyshire Law Centre offers free, specialist housing law advice to Derbyshire residents.

Visit the  housing section to find out how they can help with any housing related issues you might have.


If you live in Chesterfield or North East Derbyshire and are homeless, or in danger of becoming homeless, advice is available through the Pathways service.

You can get in contact with Pathways by calling 01246 498204 or by  visiting the Pathways website.

Help with housing costs

If you are on a low income then you could be entitled to help with housing costs. Find out more at  Derbyshire County Council's welfare benefits page.

You can also get help with rent and council tax on the council's council tax pages.


Framework offers housing help for young people aged between 18 and 24. You can find out more about the services on offer at  Framework’s website.

P3 - I Decide

P3's service I Decide offers accommodation and tenancy-based support for people in Derbyshire aged 16 and over who are experiencing mental health issues. Find out more at  P3's website.

Alternatively you can call them on 01773 742051. Lines are open Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm.

P3 - Derbyshire Homelessness Service

The Derbyshire Homelessness Service provides housing and support for people aged 18 plus experiencing homelessness.

This service provides a safe place for adults who are homeless to live and combines it with a personalised support package to tackle the root cause of their homelessness.

The service operates both 24-hour, staffed hostel accommodation, available in Erewash and South Derbyshire, alongside supporting people to access housing in the community.

Find out more about the  Derbyshire Homelessness Service.


Shelter is a national charity that helps people who may be struggling with bad housing or homelessness. They offer advice, support and legal services.

You can talk to an advisor on their non-emergency helpline on 0808 800 4444

Or visit  Shelter's website.